We take your legal right to privacy very seriously. Any information you provide us or that is kept on record will not be disclosed to anyone else without your permission. When attending for appointments or enquiries if you would like to discuss anything in a more private environment other than the reception desk, please let a member of staff know and we will arrange this for you.
Handsworth Dental Care Practice is a Data Controller under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2017 and the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
This privacy notice explains what Personal Data the Practice holds, why we hold and process it, who we might share it with and your rights and freedom under the law.
Types of Personal Data
The practice holds personal data in the following categories:
- Patient clinical health data and correspondence
- Self-employment data
- Contractors data
Why we process Personal Data (what is the "purpose")
"Process" means we obtain, store, update and archive data
- Patient data is held for the purpose of providing patients with appropriate, high quality, safe and effective dental care and treatment
- Staff employment data is held in accordance with Employment, Taxation and Pension Law
- Contractors data is held for the purpose of managing their contracts
What is the Lawful Basis for processing Personal Data?
The Law says we must tell you this:
- We hold patients data because it is in our Legitimate Interest to do so. Without holding the data we cannot work effectively. Also we must hold data on NHS care and treatment as it is a Public Task required by law
- We hold staff employment data because it is a Legal Obligation for us to do so
- We hold contractors data because it is needed to fulfil a Contract with us
Who might we share your date with?
We can only share data if it is done securely and it is necessary to do so
- Patient data may be shared with other healthcare professionals who need to be involved in your care (for example if we refer you to a specialist or need laboratory work undertaken)
- Patient data may be stored for back up purposes with our computer software/hardware suppliers who also store it securely
- Emplyment data will be shared with government agencies such as HMRC
- Employee data will be shared with DDC for the purpose of applying for a disclosure
You have to right to:
- Be informed about the personal data we hold and why we hold it
- Access a copy of your data that we hold by contacting us directly: We will acknowledge your request and supply a response within one month or sooner
- Check the information we hold about you is correct and to make correction if not
- Have your data erased in certain circumstances
- Transfer your data to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so
- Tell us not to actively process or update your data in certain circumstances
How long is your personal data stored?
- We will store personal data for as long as we are providing care, treatment or recalling patients for further care. We will archive for as long as it is required for legal purposes as recommended by the NHS or other trusted experts
- We must store emplyment data for six years after an employee has left
- We must store contractors data for seven years after the contract is ended
What to do if you are not happy or wish to raise a concern about our data processing.
You can complain in the first instance to Handsworth Ddental Care Practice Data Controller - Mr Jason Dean and we will do our best to resolve the matter. If this fails, you can complain to the Information Commissioner at www.ico.org.uk/concerns or by calling 003 123 1113